Monday, May 11, 2009

a new thing








Since the middle of March I've been preoccupied with a new thing. Something I've never really done before, with the exception of my tomato and watermelon plants that got a little out of control last summer. No sprawling vines and squishy tomatoes this year though, thanks to the "square foot" gardening method. The creation of the garden boxes is more Aaron's doing than mine (although the nagging to get them done was of course my thing.) I've planted spinach and lettuce, carrots and broccoli, sugar snap peas, beans, cucumbers, basil, tomatoes, peppers, and marigolds (supposedly keep the tomatoes and peppers healthy). I've had to uproot my broccoli because it got too hot too quick and my spinach and lettuce don't like the heat either, but we've already had a few salads with the greens and everything else seems to be doing well. It's sooooo fun to walk outside and go down the steps of my deck every day and see the constant change happening!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Good for you, Renae! We were totally going to do some square foot gardening this year too. Yep. We totally were. Maybe next year. And then you can teach me all you learned.

Annalyn said...

Yeah - I am so excited to see pictures. This is just amazing!! It looks beautiful. With my crap backyard still to provide little improvement this year, I've decided to put off my garden until I can actually FIND a place to put it. I have resorting to planting a flower planter on my deck to make me smile when I look out my back door - despite the rest of the weed - filled yard!

Ruth said...

I am so impressed!!! And reading this post made me hungry. :) Good job. Maybe I'll have to hire Aaron to come over here once we buy a house.